February 16, 2011

Wedding Wednesday!

I love Wedding Wednesday. I have always loved weddings. I guess I am just a sucker for love.

Anyways, this week I wanted to talk about our marriage counseling class that we went to last Saturday. It was ah-may-zing. amazing. I was a little skeptical about it at first, and of course Stuart was too. But we left our church Saturday afternoon with big 'ol smiles on our faces.
{our big smiles!}

We talked about everything from Conflict Resolution {anger}, Money Matters, Sex {of course...not as awkward as I thought it would be}, and my favorite part Communication. 


Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry
James 1:19
I have heard this verse a lot before. But for some reason, when Tim, the pastor who lead our class, said it, it sorta of clicked in my head. Oh.This is what marriage is about. Right here. In this passage. In these words. You listen when your partner needs you to, be careful the words you chose when you are speaking, and do not get angry over the smallest things. I will forever remember this moment. Hopefully I can remember these words in times when I really need them. 

We had an exercise to do. Eat lunch together. Uh...ok. We do this all the time. BUT No cell phones. No anything. Just the two of us and lunch. Stuart and I try and not take out our cell phones when we are eating together, but it is funny how many times I reached for my phone to check the time, or check something on the internet. Tim told us to go find a place around the church where it would be just the two of us. We chose our favorite place, outside {it was a gorgeous day, sun was shining, everything was perfect.} We layed down Stuarts tailgate, hopped in the bed of his truck and marveled at the beautiful day that God had given us. We were given a sheet and we were to ask each other these 8 questions... 

1. What was your favorite all time date the two of you went on? What was special about it? 
2. When was the last time you laughed so hard together that you cried? 
3. What is like going to look like in ten years..what's your best guess...Where will you be living? Kids? Jobs?
4. What is one spiritual goal for 2011 that the two of you can attain together?
5. What do you think are your fiances greatest strengths? Why? 
6. What are you most looking forward to about the wedding day? Why? 
7. What is one fun date you can go on together before the big day? Where will you go? What will you do? When will you go? 
8. Go back in your mind...remember what it was like the first time your saw your fiance...Share some of these feelings and thoughts. 

We actually answered all of these questions. Although we had talked about most of this stuff already, it was fun to go back and think about our first date, and how often we laugh together... I think we laugh together so much that it is a hobby! 

Ok. This was definitely not as fun as hearing the proposal, or talking about colors, dresses, shoes...blah blah. 

But it was important. 

Always talk to your partner. Never let the communication go. because if it does, what do you have left? 


loves.

1 comment:

  1. I loved hearing about it! Good questions to ask in general! Can't wait to hear about more!

    ReplyDelete